Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Polish Chicken Paprikash with Hungarian Noodles

This is the best meal I have ever made. It is my signature dish. This is my Grandmother's recipe for Chicken Paprikash.
I remember being a young girl in my grandma's kitchen smelling the intoxicating aroma of this fine dish. She used to say, "Pay attention because your going to make this one day." Now she is with the Lord and I have kids of my own watching me in the kitchen telling me, "Mom something smells good, is that dinner?" I often reminisce about her when I cook, it was one of the many talents that I loved about her. Now I feel like sharing her amazing, love filled dishes with anyone who aspires to cook homemade meals for the ones that they love most. To start here is a list of what you will need.

Chicken Paprikash

3lbs cut up chicken (bone in, skin on)
1 small onion diced
1/4 cup shortening
1tbs salt
2tbs paprika
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cup water
8 oz container sour cream

Hungarian Noodles

3 eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup flour

You will start by using a decent sized deep pot. Turn your stove on a high heat. Put the shortening, onion, and spices into the pot. Then you will sear the chicken in the spice mixture on all sides. Once the chicken has been seared, you will add the water slowly to the pot. Then you will reduce heat to a medium to a medium high heat and cover. You will let this cook approximately 30 minutes until chicken is cooked thoroughly.

Here comes the fun part. While the Chicken Paprikash is cooking you can make your noodles. You will need a large pot filled with well salted water. Start your water on a high heat because you will need to bring it to a boil. Then take your dry ingredients and mix them in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs and milk. Then slowly mix in the flour mixture. It should be like a very wet cookie dough, but not too runny. When the water comes to a rapid boil you will start making the noodles. If you have a noodle maker, by all means, use it. Many people don't even know what a noodle maker is, so if you are one of those people, have no fear. From my years of experience without a noodle maker, I have perfected a technique. You will need to put the noodle dough into a shallow bowl or on a deep plate. Use a small metal spoon to "flick" the dough into the water. *Hint to stop the dough from sticking to the spoon, dip the spoon into the salted water.* Do this until you run out of room in the pot. When the noodles float on the top of the water, let them cook an additional 30 seconds to a minute, depending on size. Next, strain them out (use a large spoon with holes to strain the noodle out of the water). Put the noodles into a strainer or a large bowl. Continue this method until all of the noddles are cooked.

Now comes the time to take the chicken off of the bone. You will want to take the chicken out of the pot, turn the heat to low and let the chicken sit for a minute. Once it cools a little, take all of the chicken off of the bone and return it to the pot. When all of the chicken is back in the pot, slowly mix in the container of sour cream. Let it get hot again and add your noodles.

I hope you enjoy this with your family and friends. Remember to pass it on to the ones you love most and make wonderful memories.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds alot like my recipe only I use a clove or two of garlic in mine.

    ReplyDelete